Coaching and mentoring are not regulated professions. Effectively anyone can establish themselves as a coach or mentor, so it’s important to choose yours carefully. I would expect any prospective client to ask me the following questions to assess my capability:
- Why do you coach/mentor?
- What training/qualifications do you have?
- Do you have your own coach/mentor?
- Do you have supervision, and if so in what form?
- Which party is the client: the person being coached/mentored or the employing organisation?
- What models underpin your practice?
- How do you propose to measure the success of the coaching/mentoring relationship?
You’ll find my answers to these questions here.